C 5. Is it necessary to have a German health insurance?

All students in Germany are unexceptionally required to have health insurance that meets the requirements of German law. Students are required to be insured at a German statutory health insurance carrier starting from the first day of their first semester (i.e. beginning 1 October for winter term; regardless of date of arrival). The university will not accept any private travel or emergency insurances as proof of insurance. There is a reduced student fee which generally applies to all students under 30 years of age. For students over 30 years of age or with children, different regulations apply (contact your coordinator). Abbe School of Photonics will assist you to find a suitabel health insurance after your arrival.

If you are a citizen of the European Union and have a health insurance in your home country, you should ask your health insurance for the European Health Insurance Card or the form E 111.
Please note: Your travel to Jena and the days before your enrollment won't be covered. We highly advise you to take out a travel insurance policy.