Call for the academic year 2019/20 - APPLY NOW!
Application deadlines in 2019
- January 15 (1st priority deadline for all applicants)
- March 1 (2nd priority deadline for all applicants)
- April 15 (3rd priority deadline for all applicants, final deadline for non-EU applicants)
- June 15 (rolling admission deadline for EU applicants)
- September 15 (rolling admission deadline for German applicants)
Prerequisites and application requirements
Applicants must have obtained or be about to obtain a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in Physics, Natural Sciences, or Engineering. The following documents are required for the online application:
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), Bachelor of Engineering (B. Eng.) or Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech.) degree comprising significant exposure to physics fundamentals, or an equivalent or higher degree in the same areas. A strong background either in classical physics, mathematics and/or electrodynamic theory is advantageous. If you have not yet finished your current academic degree, you may apply likewise with a preliminary transcript of records including all completed courses thus far;
- a comprehensive curriculum vitae (CV). Please list all stages of your education in chronological order. Further, we need a clear statement about your current status and/or occupation including information on current employments, unemployment, or parental leave;
- a letter of motivation (500 words at maximum and to be typed);
- a copy of your passport;
- your high school (=secondary school) leaving certificate with marks;
- a transcript of records with marks;
- a proof of English proficiency by
- TOEFL or an equivalent English test (minimum points/grades): TOEFL PBT (550), TOEFL CBT (215), TOEFL IBT (85), IELTS (6.5), or
- Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE) exam or Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) exam, or
- German "Abitur".
- language exemptions: The following students are exempted from providing the proof of English proficiency:
- Nationals from the USA, U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada, or
- BSc and MSc graduates who obtained their qualification in one of these countries.
- If applying for a scholarship, two additional letters of recommendation from professors are required.
Please check the scholarship information and apply for scholarship funding if you are eligible. Please indicate for which scholarship(s) you have applied. If you have more questions, please consider our FAQs. Please note that we cannot accept applications via post or email.